The key issues are measurement and control [1, 2] of:
Principal sensor technologies include electrochemical – dielectric – optical fibre – IR and Raman spectroscopy –
ultrasonic – mechanical impedance analysis.
Dielectric cure monitoring systems have been
developed by Micromet (marketed
as Episilon by the Netzsch Group), Ashland Performance Materials, formerly Signature Control Systems, (SmartTrac®)
and the DYNAMIC consortium (an
EU SME-2 Collective Research project), amongst others.
Process control technologies include proportional-integral-derivative, fuzzy logic and artificial neural networks.
- J Summerscales, Chapter 2: In-process monitoring for control of closed-mold techniques for the manufacture of thermosetting matrix composites, In Gabriel O Shonaike and Suresh G Advani (editors): Advanced Polymeric Materials – Structure and Property Relationships, CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton - Florida, April 2003, pp 57-101. ISBN 1-58716-047-1. PU CSH Library. MooDLE.
- S Konstantopoulos, E Fauster and R Schledjewski, Monitoring the production of FRP composites: a review of in-line sensing methods, Express Polymer Letters, 2014, 8(11), 823-840.
- R Rusby, The Beginner’s Guide to Temperature Measurement, NPL Measurement Good Practice Guide 125, September 2012.
- R Rusby, Introduction to temperature easurement, NPL
Measurement Good Practice Guide No. 125, 2016
- S Bell, A Beginner’s Guide to Humidity Measurement, NPL Measurement Good Practice Guide (draft), October 2011.
- Laurence Cuscó (coordinator) et al, Guide to the measurement of pressure and vacuum, Institute of Measurement and Control and National Physical Laboratory, London, 1998. ISBN 0-904457-29-x.
- GE Fonseca, MA Dubé and A Penlidis, A critical overview of sensors for monitoring polymerizations, Macromolecular Reaction Engineering, 14 September 2009, 3(7), 327–373.
- S Kavesh and JM Schultz, Meaning and measurement of crystallinity in polymers: a review, Polymer Engineering and Science, September 1969, 9(5), 331-338.
- S Kavesh and JM Schultz, Meaning and measurement of crystallinity in polymers: a review, Polymer Engineering and Science, November 1969, 9(6), 452-460.
Return to MATS 347 home page
Updated by John Summerscales on
11-Sep-2019 14:44. Terms and conditions. Errors and omissions. Corrections.