|Resources for Life Cycle Assessment of Natural Fibre Composites and Bio-Based Resins|
Relevant teaching web pages
Useful documentation and consortia
- NPJ Dissanayake and J Summerscales, Life Cycle Assessment for natural fibre composites, Chapter 8 in Vijay Kumar Thakur (editor): Green Composites from Natural Resources, Taylor & Francis Group LLC, USA, 25 November 2013, pp 157-186. ISBN 978-1-4665-7069-6.
- AD La Rosa and G Cicala, LCA of fibre-reinforced composites, Chapter 14 in SS Muthu (editor), Handbook of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of Textiles and Clothing, Elsevier (Woodhead Publishing Series in Textiles), 2015. ISBN 978-0-08-100169-1.
Key Technical Reports
- Anonymous, Single-use plastics: New measures to reduce marine litter, A European Strategy for Plastics in a Circular Economy, European Commission\Environment, circa 2018.
- M Barth and M Carus, Carbon Footprint and Sustainability of Different Natural Fibres for Biocomposites and Insulation Material - study providing data for the automotive and insulation industry, nova-institut GmbH, Hürth - Germany, 2015.
- Sustainable Performance and Strategy, Life cycle assessment of CFGF – Continuous Filament Glass Fibre Products, PwC Report prepared for GlassFibreEurope, Brussels, October 2016.
- JEG van Dam and HL Bos, Consultation on natural fibres: the environmental impact of hard fibres and jute in non-textile industrial applications, ESC-Fibres Consultation no 04/4, Rome, 15-16 December 2004.
- JEG van Dam and HL Bos, The Environmental Impact of Fibre Crops in Industrial Applications, 33-page document with no publication details beyond the URL!
- Richard Murphy and Ian Bartle, Biodegradable Polymers and Sustainability: Insights from Life Cycle Assessment, Summary Report
presented at the National Non-Food Crops Centre seminar, London, 25 May 2004.
Journal papers on LCA
- M Anshassi and TG Townsend, Reviewing the underlying assumptions in waste LCA models to identify impacts on waste management decision making, Journal of Cleaner Production, 1 September 2021, 313, 127913.
- B Dastjerdi, V Strezov, MdA Rajaeifar, R Kumar and M Behnia, A systematic review on life cycle assessment of different waste to energy valorization technologies, Journal of Cleaner Production, 25 March 2021, 290, 125747.
- J Diener and U Siehler, Ecological comparison from NMT- and GMT-components (translated from the German original by Corinna Thom), Applied Macromolecular Chemistry, 1999, 272 (1), 1-4.
- T Ekvall and G Finnveden, Allocation in ISO 14041 - a critical review, Journal of Cleaner Production, June 2001, 9(3), 197-208.
- A Fitzgerald, W Proud, A Kandemir, RJ Murphy, DA Jesson, RS Trask, I Hamerton and ML Longana, A life cycle engineering perspective on biocomposites as a solution for a sustainable recovery, Sustainability, 2021, 13(3), 1160.
- S Halliwell, End of Life Options for Composite Waste: Recycle, Reuse or Dispose?, National Composites Network Best Practice Guide.
- SV Joshi, LT Drzal, AK Mohanty and S Arora, Are natural fiber composites environmentally superior to glass fiber reinforced composites?, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, March 2004, 35(3), 371–376.
- Y Leterrier, Life Cycle Engineering of Composites, Chapter 2.33 in Comprehensive Composite Materials, Elsevier Science, Oxford, 2000.
- H Lilholt and JM Lawther, Natural Organic Fibers, Chapter 1.10 in Comprehensive Composite Materials, Elsevier Science, Oxford, 2000, 303-325.
- P Ramesh and S Vinodh, State of art review on Life Cycle Assessment of polymers, International Journal of Sustainable Engineering, 17 August 2020, latest articles.
- ETH Vink, KR Rábago, DA Glassner and PR Gruber, Applications of life cycle assessment to NatureWorks™ polylactide (PLA) production, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 2003, 80(3), 403-419.
Journal papers reporting LCA specific to natural fibres
- T Corbière-Nicollier, B Gfeller Laban, L Lundquist, Y Leterrier, J-AE Månson and O Jolliet, Life cycle assessment of biofibres replacing glass fibres as reinforcement in plastics, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, November 2001, 33(4), 267-287.NPJ Dissanayake, J Summerscales, SM Grove and MM Singh, Life cycle impact assessment of flax fibre for the reinforcement of composites, Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy, 2009, 3(3), 245-248.
- NPJ Dissanayake, J Summerscales, SM Grove and MM Singh, Energy use in the production of flax fiber for the reinforcement of composites, Journal of Natural Fibers, 2009, 6(4), 331-346.
- A Gomez-Campos, C Vialle, A Rouilly, C Sablayrolles and L Hamelin, Flax fiber for technical textile: a life cycle inventory, Journal of Cleaner Production, 25 January 2021, 281, 125177.
- S González-García, A Hospido, G Feijoo and MT Moreira, Life cycle assessment of raw materials for non-wood pulp mills: hemp and flax, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, September 2010, 54(11), 923-930.
- A Le Duigou, P Davies and C Baley, Environmental impact analysis of the production of flax fibres to be used as composite material reinforcement, Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy, March 2011, 5(1), 153-165.
- P Munasinghe, A Druckman and DGK Dissanayake, A systematic review of the life cycle inventory of clothing, Journal of Cleaner Production, 20 October 2021, 320, 128852.
- J Summerscales and N Dissanayake, Allocation in LCA of flax fibres for the reinforcement of composites, 21st International Conference on Composite Materials, Xi’an – China, 20-25 August 2017, oral 2039.
- HMG van der Werf and L Turunen, The environmental impacts of the production of hemp and flax textile yarn, Industrial Crops and Products, January 2008, 27(1), 1-10.
Journal papers reporting LCA specific to other composite systems
- MK Hagnell and M Åkermo, The economic and mechanical potential of closed loop material usage and recycling of fibre-reinforced composite materials, Journal of Cleaner Production, 20 June 2019, 223, 957-968.
- F Hermansson, M Janssen and M Svanström, Prospective study of lignin-based and recycled carbon fibers in composites through meta-analysis of life cycle assessments, Journal of Cleaner Production, 20 June 2019, 223, 946-956.
- AD La Rosa, G Recca, J Summerscales, A Latteri, G Cozzo and G Cicala, Bio-based versus traditional polymer composites: a life cycle assessment perspective, Journal of Cleaner Production, 01 July 2014, 74, 135-144.
- AD La Rosa, S Greco, C Tosto and G Cicala, LCA and LCC of a chemical recycling process of waste CF-thermoset composites for the production of novel CF-thermoplastic composites: open loop and closed loop scenarios, Journal of Cleaner Production, 2021, 127158.
- SJ Pickering, Recycling technologies for thermoset composite materials
- current status, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 2006, 37, 1206-1215.
- S Walker and R Rothman, Life cycle assessment of bio-based and fossil-based plastic: a review, Journal of Cleaner Production, 10 July 2020, 261, 121158.
Journal papers reporting LCA specific to composites manufacturing
- A Forcellese, M Marconi, M Simoncini and A Vita, Life cycle impact assessment of different manufacturing technologies for automotive CFRP components, Journal of Cleaner Production, 20 October 2020, 271, 122677.
- RJ Tapper, ML Longana, A Norton, KD Potter and I Hamerton, An evaluation of life cycle assessment and its application to the closed-loop recycling of carbon fibre reinforced polymers, Composites Part B: Engineering, 1 March 2020, 184, 107665.
Journal papers reporting LCA specific to application sector
- A Gomez-Campos, C Vialle, A Rouilly, L Hamelin, A Rogeon, D Hardy and C Sablayrolles, Natural fibre polymer composites - a game changer for the aviation sector?, Journal of Cleaner Production, 1 March 2021, 286, 124986.
- C Ingrao, AL Giudice, J Bacenetti, C Tricase, G Dotelli, M Fiala, V Siracusa, C Mbohwa, Energy and environmental assessment of industrial hemp for building applications: a review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, November 2015, 51, 29–42.
- M Kalverkamp, E Helmers and A Pehlken, Impacts of life cycle inventory databases on life cycle assessments: a review by means of a [vehicle] drivetrain case study, Journal of Cleaner Production, 1 October 2020, 269, 121329.
- AD La Rosa, A Recca, A Gagliano, J Summerscales, A Latteri, G Cozzo and G Cicala, Environmental impacts and thermal insulation performance of innovative composite solutions for building applications, Construction and Building Materials, 31 March 2014, 55, 406-414.
- C Mair-Bauernfeind, M Zimek, M Lettner, F Hesser, RJ Baumgartner and T Stern, Comparing the incomparable? A review of methodical aspects in the sustainability assessment of wood in vehicles, The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 14 September 2020.
- D Richard, T Hong, M Hastak, A Mirmirand and O Salem, Life-cycle performance model for composites in construction, Composites Part B: Engineering, March 2007, 38(2), 236-246.
- P Roy, F Defersha, A Rodriguez-Uribe, M Misra and AK Mohanty, Evaluation of the life cycle of an automotive component produced from biocomposite, Journal of Cleaner Production, 10 November 2020, 273, 123051.
Review papers specific to composting
- G Shan, W Li, Y Gao, W Tan and B Xi, Additives for reducing nitrogen loss during composting: a review, Journal of Cleaner Production, 20 July 2021, 307, 127308.
- Jin Lu and Suyun Xu, Post-treatment of food waste digestate towards land application: a review, Journal of Cleaner Production, 20 June 2021, 303, 127033.
- S Tait, PW Harris and BK McCabe, Biogas recovery by anaerobic digestion of Australian agro-industry waste: a review, Journal of Cleaner Production, 25 May 2021, 299, 126876.
- Y Cai, Z Zheng, F Schäfer, W Stinner, X Yuan, H Wang, Z Cui and X Wang, A review about pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass in anaerobic digestion: achievement and challenge in Germany and China, Journal of Cleaner Production, 25 May 2021, 299, 126885.
- M Liu, Y Wei and X Leng, Improving biogas production using additives in anaerobic digestion: a review, Journal of Cleaner Production, 15 May 2021, 297, 126666.
- X Zheng, MA Aborisade, S Liu, S Lu, BT Oba, X Xu, X Cheng, M He, Y Song and H Ding, The history and prediction of composting technology: a patent mining, Journal of Cleaner Production, 10 December 2020, 276, 124232.
- T Kijchavengkul and R Auras, Perspective: Compostability of polymers, Polymer International, June 2008, 57(6), 793-804.
- MdNI Siddique and ZAb Wahid, Achievements and perspectives of anaerobic co-digestion: a review, Journal of Cleaner Production, 1 September 2018, 194, 359-371.
- M Karamanlioglu, R Preziosi and GD Robson, Abiotic and biotic environmental degradation of the bioplastic polymer poly(lactic acid): a review, Polymer Degradation and Stability, March 2017, 137, 122-130.
- CPC Bong, LY Lim, WS Ho, JS Lim, JJ Klemeš, S Towprayoond, CS Ho and CT Lee, A review on the global warming potential of cleaner composting and mitigation strategies, Journal of Cleaner Production, 10 March 2017, 146, 149-157.
- BG Hermann, L Debeer, B de Wilde, K Blok and MK Patel, To compost or not to compost: carbon and energy footprints of biodegradable materials' waste treatment, Polymer Degradation and Stability, June 2011, 96(6), 1159-1171.
Workshop on Life Cycle Assessment of Composites, Advanced Composites
Manufacturing Centre, University of Plymouth, 7 April 2005.
Workshop on Life Cycle Assessment of Composites, Dartington, 25 September 2013.
ISO 14040 series of standards on Life Cycle Assessment
- 14040:1997 Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - principles
- 14041:1998 Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - goal and scope definition and inventory analysis (superseded by ISO 14044)
- 14042:2000 Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - life cycle impact assessment (superseded by ISO 14044)
- 14043:2000 Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - life cycle interpretation (superseded by ISO 14044)
- 14044:2006 Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - requirements and guidelines
- 14047 Technical Report: Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - examples of application of ISO 14042
- 14048:2002 Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - data documentation format
- 14049:2000 Technical Report: Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - examples of applications of ISO 14041 to goal and scope definition and inventory analysis
Data sources for Embodied Energy
Association of the European Composites Industry (EuCIA)
Return to MATS 347 home page
Created by John Summerscales on 05 May 2007 and updated on
28-Sep-2021 11:48. Terms and conditions. Errors and omissions. Corrections.